Friday, August 17, 2012

Classroom Design Plans

Two years ago, my classroom was full of desks in straight rows, like this:
 I knew it wasn't what I wanted, but I had to make the best of it. So, every period I moved desks into this formation:

 Last year, I knew it was time to leave the desks behind. I wanted space for my students to spread out. I wanted to encourage collaboration. I found 7 tables on Craigslist for $50 - not too shabby. I loved having tables - it was everything I wanted, except... the tables were standard long rectangular tables and they took up a lot of classroom space.

My tables ended up in rows. It was the only way to allow space to move between the tables. It worked... but it still wasn't what I really wanted to do.

This year is special. I am inspired, encouraged, and energetic. I have high hopes. I went back to Craigslist last week to see what I could do to change up my table situation.

I found round tables! Two beautiful tables were given to me for free, I dug one up from our storage, and another three I bought on the cheap from a local restaurant that went out of business.
I got rid of a lot of classroom storage - I really don't need it as almost everything is digital. I don't have any files. 

I promise I will post pictures next week as my classroom comes together. I've already taken the before pictures... and I can't wait for the transformation. I have big plans for my classroom walls.

**All room plans were created using the Living Spaces room planner.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I love the circular table design. I am sure if I was in a classroom with tables like this I would have been more interactive. I can hardly even remember the desks that our teachers used to have all I remember are the vicro chairs. They were in every classroom. Thanks so much for sharing your classroom pictures.

    ReplyDelete