Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ignite Classroom Version

As I can't travel to San Fransisco this summer, I'm following ISTE's conference on twitter and G+. Already I'm seeing posts and tweets about Ignite, so I thought I'd share my experience using it in the classroom.

This year I used the format with both my seniors and my sophomores. For my senior British Literature Honors class, I had the students choose a British poet and create 5 minute presentation with the slides on a timer (20 seconds per slide). The students were confused about the format, so to kick things off, I did my own presentation. This helped tremendously.

We had a lot of fun with these presentations and I was impressed with the quality. There is a lightheartedness to this type of presentation that keeps them fun, yet relevant. 

For my 10th graders, I decided to use an abbreviated form of the Ignite format. In this case, the students each had 3 minutes and 15 seconds per slide for a total of 12 slides. Again, I gave a sample presentation as a kick-off. This time, I limited my students to no more than 10 words per slide and also introduced the concept of hand-drawn slides.

Naturalist Presentation (For whatever reason, Blogger won't let me embed both presentations in one post)

The sophomores completed a project at the end of the year looking into career options. We started out with a fun aptitude test and then students picked a career to research. First, my students interviewed someone in their chosen field. Then the students wrote a 5-7 page paper exploring the history of the job, job requirements and expectations, preparation for the job, and at least three related college programs. The final project was the presentation where they summed up their findings for the class.

I loved using the abbreviated Ignite format because it kept the presentations short and snappy. Students stuck to the big ideas, and the entire class got a good overview of job options by the time we were done. Even shy students did well because they knew that it was only 3 minutes and the slides would move on with or without them!

All in all, these exercises were enjoyable and I look forward to repeating them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment