Sunday, January 27, 2013

iPads in the Classroom: Observations



We are halfway through our year with iPads for 10th Grade English at Calvary Christian Academy. In no particular order, here are my observations:

  1. More students are buying or requesting their own iPads. They bring these in and purchase/download the same apps that we use in class. Students have learned that iPads are oh-so-much-more than consumption devices. Because we use iPads for everything from writing to research to filming to editing, students observe the possibilities.
  2. Settings need to be password protected. This seems like such a no-brainer. My students are generally quite good with the iPads, but sometimes they get themselves into trouble.
  3. Canvas Instructure is hands-down THE BEST learning management system for those using iPads in the classroom. Students can submit any work from almost any app to an assignment in Canvas. I can then use the SpeedGrader app to grade and make comments (including video/audio comments). 
  4. Yes, I want the camera. No, I don't want Photo Booth. It's an all or nothing situation now with the Restriction settings. 
  5. IPads give students choices. Some assignments I want handwritten (GoodNotes). Others I want typed (Pages). I have options with the iPads and everything stays nicely organized.
  6. Presentations are so much easier now. No lost thumb drives or confusion uploading a file to Dropbox. Students create their presentations using Keynote and then connect their individual iPad to the projector to present. Next on my wishlist: an Apple TV so we can remotely project. 
  7. Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. My classroom next to the 7th grade lockers. What do I frequently overhear? "That's the iPad classroom. SO COOL! I can't wait until we get to use iPads for English." Students are eagerly looking forward to their future English studies.
  8. I am a better teacher. There. I said it. The iPads have allow me to be better organized, and I desperately need that. I have seen far less grade inflation this year in my classes.When I look at the 10th grade as a whole, I believe the assessments given on the iPads truly mirror their knowledge. The iPads allow for creative expression alongside academic rigor.
I'm looking forward to sharing more about my experiences this year during my session at PETE&C in February. I hope to see you there! 




No comments:

Post a Comment