Thursday, January 9, 2014

Reading Bingo Challenge 2014

A coworker brought to my attention Random House's Reading Bingo Challenge this week. Immediately the wheels in my head started turning, and I put together a classroom edition. I printed out squares with all of the categories and taped them on to my board. I'm allowing all students to participate. As they complete their books, they can fill out a small sticky note with their name and the book title and then put it on the appropriate square. 

For each square that students complete, they earn points. I will keep an updated leaderboard to motivate students. I've only had the game up on the board for a few hours now, and students are already borrowing books from my classroom library to complete the challenge. Fun!

Here are the rules:

  • Each book must be a new read
  • All books must be read in 2014
  • Each book can only count for one category
  • Books must be of an appropriate length

1 point - each square
5 points - each completed row
20 points - completed square


I'm looking forward to completing this challenge myself - and seeing what books my students read. Ideally, I'd like to buy a book of his or her choice for each student who completes the full challenge, but I don't think I'll have the funds!

My Classroom Edition:


No comments:

Post a Comment