Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lessons Learned in iPad Deployment

Last week, we deployed thirty iPads in my High School English classroom. We hit a few bumps in the road, but things are starting to come together. Here's what we learned:
  1. In my initial research, I was concerned about losing student data when we synched the iPads in the Bretford cart. I didn't want all thirty iPads to wipe when we needed to add or delete an app. As Apple Configurator is still relatively new, the information I found was spotty. It seemed best to install our VPP (volume purchase program) apps manually to all thirty iPads, redeeming in iTunes on each individual iPad. We finished about 15 until we rethought this process and did more research. Apparently, there are options in Apple Configurator to retain data. We wiped the iPads to start clean again and prepare with Configurator. 
  2. Setting up the iPads in Configurator went smoothly, as did adding all the free apps. BUT, when we attempted to use our VPP codes again, we were fifteen short. We thought the fifteen we originally used would repopulate when we wiped the iPads clean. Nope. After a few phone calls (not recommended) and emails with Apple, they were finally able to give us new codes. Apparently, if you switch deployment methods you can lose access to the codes. Apple was very generous in refreshing our codes as we made an honest mistake trying to figure everything out. 
  3. The way I want to set up the iPads is not covered in the Apple Configurator model. I do not want my students to add or delete apps at will on the iPads - I will not hand out the VPP codes. I do not want students to login with their own Apple IDs. I also do not want the iPads to wipe data between classes. I know this means I will have 4-5 students in different classes able to access each other's data. I'm ok with this. I do not have time built in to my 42 minute periods to push out new profiles and assign users. The iPads are only being used in my classroom for five periods a day. My situation is unique - and I wish Apple Configurator was more customizable. 
  4. Apple Configurator is wonderful... when it works. However, it needs more options. Following the iPad Apple Configurator deployment guide did not help when my situation did not fit their three models. 
At the end of the day, we were able to sort it out and make it work. Up next: how I organize the iPads for easy classroom usage. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm working with Apple Configurator this weekend myself. Our deployment plan is similar to yours. We're deploying 6 iPads in each K-4 classroom to use in centers. We don't want kids using Apple ID's, and I too am ok with students having access to each other's data. We set our student iPads up in "supervise mode". I did like the ability of configurator to set up profiles that disable in-app purchases, iTunes access, and lock in our preferred wireless network settings.
    I did have issues when trying to prepare multiple iPads. I used a Belkin powered 7 port hub but configurator started giving me issue/errors when I tried to do more than 5 at a time. Do you have a hub you recommend that might work better?
    The plan right now is to update the apps on the iPads once a quarter and add any new apps teachers want for their class.
    Teachers have their own iPads and their own Apple ID's. Our theory was to trust teachers to manage their own iPads. I distributed the VPP codes for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, and Keynote to them to redeem themselves. I noticed when I imported the excel files with codes into Configurator that it did not subtract the number of codes our teachers used, but after configuring several classes worth of student iPads I noticed that when I checked the codes in Configurater, the ones used by teachers showed that they were unusable. It does not subtract them from the count, but at least it indicates they were already used. Fortunately, we ordered enough for both teacher and student machines.
    Thanks for your post. I look forward to reading your following posts and lean from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis - I only have experience charging and syncing with the Bretford cart. We ran into some issues when the Macbook Pro went into sleep mode while preparing iPads (required wiping and starting the whole process over again). Other than that, we were able to configure all 30 simultaneously.

    I also like the ability to turn off some features in Apple Configurator. I wish it was more robust. I'd like to lock the wallpaper. I'd also like to turn off the ability for students to set passcode locks. I did go on to each individual iPad and set a restrictions passcode so that I could turn on and off the camera on each iPad at will, and I turned off the option for students to delete apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you're going "supervised" on your student iPads. You may know all this already, but I found this video from Randy Saeks quite helpful. http://vimeo.com/38172046 I only plan to use "Prepare" for our initial setup and "Supervise" for app updates and refreshes. Since we're using 6 per classroom in centers, I don't see a need to use the "Assign" feature. I still need to play around and see what happens to student data when I refresh supervised student devices - hopefully the data will remain.
    I see what you mean about the profile settings. Even though I can set them, students can still go in and change them. I would be nice to be able to lock these in place - even though I can refresh the policies with simple refresh, I don't want to have to do this every time a student makes changes. Don't want start playing that game. Hopefully future iterations of confiurator will add these options.

    ReplyDelete