Thursday, September 13, 2012

Simple Solutions Using Google Forms

If something can be lost... I will lose it. My desk is disorganized mess (but I generally know where everything is). When I used to hand out novels to my English students, I also passed around a paper with columns for students to sign their names and mark book conditions next to a list of book numbers. Passing around the paper was time consuming and distracting, and when it returned to the bottomless pit of my desk it was a miracle if I could find it again to check books back in.

Flash forward to this year. Instead of passing around a paper, I created a Google Form. Using the class iPads, students quickly typed in the book title, book number, their name, class period, and book condition. Most students were done within one minute. Super easy - and now I have a sortable list.



3 comments:

  1. And they could all enter data at the same time, so instead of a 30-minute distraction you have only two or three minutes. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Any time I can get clutter off my desk it is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Congerjan! It's working quite well. I used the sortable spreadsheet yesterday to quickly help a student identify their own book from a pile that was left in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete