Friday, June 22, 2012

Code Avengers

Over the past few months, I've been teaching myself coding using Codecademy. While I easily pushed right through HTML/CSS, I stalled on Javascript. In small bursts of mental gymnastics, I've made it halfway through the course.

The problem? The instructions are not written for non-programmers. Nine times out of ten, I'm finally able to understand what they are asking for by working backwards after looking for the answer in the forums. I do like the format, though - and I enjoy the projects. I've encouraged coworkers and students to check it out.

Yesterday, I stumbled across a comment on a blog post (unfortunately now I can't find it) where Code Avengers was offered as an alternative to Codecademy. Code Avengers breaks down coding into much simpler bites (haha) so that the average lay coder can tackle Javascript (and in the future, other languages). The format is a bit juvenile, but that may be the intention.

Simple layout
Whatever it is, CodeAvengers is FUN. I'm a visual learner - so the robot programming tutorials appeal to me. I also like the badges, although they aren't as creative as Codecademy's.

I feel like I'm playing with LOGO again!

Codecademy's strength lies in its user-base. By attracting a large number of users and creators, Codecademy is set up to continuously recreate itself into a better system. As it is now, it's still in the baby phase. However, just because you know how to code, does not mean you know how to teach coding. The guys at CodeAvengers, on the other hand, apply a sound teaching method. First, an overview of each topic is presented (topics are arranged in 10 lesson sequences). Then, over the course of the next eight or so lessons, the topic is taught and practiced. In the final lesson of that sequence, the user is quizzed. The quiz games are a bit hokey and annoying, but thankfully the animations can be turned off. I found the intro>teach>review method to help me retain far more information than I learned at Codecademy.

Small bug: not sure why I have the 2K badge when I only have 762 points.

CodeAvengers, like Codecademy, is still in the beginning stages. I see great potential, and I'm looking forward to new courses being unlocked.

Spread the word! It's an excellent teaching tool.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. Hmm... I better fix the 2k badge!

    I am creating this site as a side project in my spare time. I am trying to make it suitable for high school children. Hence, it can seem a little childish at times. But, I havn't had any major complaints from older folk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a high school teacher, I think it is suitable for that age range. Maybe you could change up a few of the alien-ship blaster optional games for variety's sake? But, I know what it's like to have a side-project and a limited amount of time to devote to it! As it is, I think it's an awesome web app and I'll be sharing it this year with my colleagues and others at tech conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great writing ! I love Code Avengers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Code Avengers is a great resource for beginners like myself who have never considered learning how to code before. While it is targeted at High School aged students it has a lot to offer all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried Programr? ( http://www.programr.com )
    Kind of similar but covers more platforms including Android and iOS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've reviewed both, and I believe codeavengers is by far better for its target market:
    You will notice that I dont really think codecademy's strategy of user-generated will pay off.
    Got to agree, those robot games were fun. I'd have loved a labyrinth solver though, for a tougher nut to crack ;) but then I'm not their target market.

    http://ludovicurbain.blogspot.be/2013/06/code-avengers-review.html
    http://ludovicurbain.blogspot.be/2013/06/codecademy-review.html

    ReplyDelete