Friday, June 15, 2012

iPad: Creation Tool

Last week, I attended an Apple Educator event in NYC. While most of the presentation was review for me (iBooks Author, iTunes U, etc.) I was most frustrated with the way the iPad was presented. As a glorified advertisement for local educators to purchase Apple products, I expected more from the presentation. Over and over the point was hammered: the iPad is a consumption tool.

If you know me, you know that I vehemently disagree with that statement. I wanted to stop the presentation and take over with one of my favorite soapbox topics.


You see, the iPad isn't merely a consumption tool. It's a creation tool. 

Many parents and students have asked me what the difference is between an iPad and a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. Beyond a much smoother operating experience, the iPad surpasses other tablets because it is a creation tool. If you are only looking for a small screen to watch movies and play games, then yes, maybe another tablet is right for you.

BUT, if you are looking for a dynamic tool for yourself and your students, the iPad is what you want.

Taking notes? Try GoodNotes (I have a review coming out in an upcoming issue of ISTE's Learning & Leading). BTW, GoodNotes is on sale for .99 right now.

Video editing? Try iMovie

Animating? Try Animation Desk

Mindmapping? Try Popplet or Pearltrees

Archiving? Try Evernote

Creating a presentation? Try Paper

Curating information? Try Storify

... and the list goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment