Monday, June 25, 2012

Using Google Docs to Teach Tweeting

Before my 10th grade World Lit students started reading The Scarlet Pimpernel this past year, I came up with a project to help them see the story from multiple perspectives. My students sit at tables - an arrangement I pushed for because it gives them space to work on projects and encourages collaboration. I assigned one character to each table group.
  • Table 1: Marguerite
  • Table 2: Suzanne
  • Table 3: Armand
  • Table 4: Chauvelin
  • Table 5: Andrew
  • Table 6: Percy
  • Table 7: the Comtesse
The instructions were simple:
Work with your table group to create 30 tweets that accurately represent your character's thoughts throughout the book. Each tweet should be in this format:

FishyFisherman - Mr. Jellyband
@scarletp sent over a fresh new batch of frogs today. No wonder the inn stinks. #britishforever

Remember!! Each tweet must be 140 characters or less (including spaces). Each tweet must include at least one hashtag #

** You may include up to 15 tweets from other characters written to your character. For example:

AngryBantam - The Vicomte
@Jellyband I request full refund for last night's meal. #disgrace #duelingfordummies

Your tweets must be chronological.
As many of my 10th graders had no experience using twitter, this was a good introduction to the format. 

Google Docs worked well for this format. The student groups shared a document where they created the tweets together in real time. The students could see who was typing what, and leave comments off to the side as they worked. The collaboration was interesting to watch as there was a blend of face-to-face communication happening around the table at the same time as online conversations.

Student Work - Table 3: Armand

While the students were working on these projects, I regularly checked in to their document (it was also shared with me). The student could see when I was perusing their document and used the chat feature to say hi. The check-ins allowed me to see how the groups were doing, and gently encourage them in the right direction. Some groups struggled with spreading out their tweets, especially when their character was only a major part of the beginning of the book. This project forced them to think outside the box, imagining what their character would be doing and feeling during the latter part of the book.

Student Work - Table 4: Chauvelin
When it came time to assess, I made ample use of the revision history in Google Docs. This allowed me to see who typed what and when, which is the age-old question when it comes to assessing group projects.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Hannah-- I was talking with Ron about this project. I like it a lot. I've used discussion boards in which students interact as characters in novels-- for example, at the end of Acts One and Four of Romeo and Juliet. Students have to form alliances, threaten, sidle-up to, or otherwise interact with other characters-(incorporating a few "Shakespearean Insults"-- you've seen that handout, I assume-- as the situation requires.) The "outside of the box" aspect, as you mention, is a good stretch for my ninth graders, who have trouble understanding that the characters "exist" off stage when the action does not directly involve them. It really helps them in making predictions about the ensuing plot development.
    This Twitter project can accomplish these same goals. I like the tweet idea b/c the entries are short by definition. I also like the fact that you allowed others to tweet to the assigned character. The hashtag requirement is interesting. I'd like to hear more on why you required them. I'd also like to see any assessment rubric you designed. I'm thinking of using this for A Raisin in the Sun in December.
    The Google Doc is a good idea. However, did you ever open the doc to the entire class so the character groups could tweet to each other? I'd like to try that.
    Looking fwd to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lorraine! I looked through my files, and I can't find a rubric. I think I used a loose one for this project. I looked at each student's contributions to the project and gave credit for participation. I took off a few points here and there for tweets that were too long or off topic. The tweets needed to be balanced - I expected them to tweet through the whole book, not 20 tweets for the first chapter and 10 for the rest of the book. I also looked at content. Did the tweets show the students' ability to make inferences?

    As to the hashtags, I wanted my students to have some exposure to the concept. Many of them had seen hashtags used on facebook or twitter, but didn't know what they were for. I was less strict on how the hashtags were to be assigned - I was ok with them being a little goofy.

    Opening up the Google Docs to the entire class is a great way to practice tweeting within a safe environment. I only shared the document amongst team members, but I like your idea of opening it up to the entire class to encourage more cross-tweets.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noticed your mention of using revision history to track contributions. Sneaky: Chauvelin would have been proud.

    ReplyDelete