Thursday, July 19, 2012

Coursera: A Treasure House for Lifelong Learners

I am a learner. I cannot help myself. I will follow one interest into another.

Last month, I signed up for a free course with Coursera. Yes, it's free(!), but it's also non-credit. Why would I be interested in taking a course without receiving any reward?

I love to learn.

Today, I signed up for two more courses. On my plate for the next four months or so:


Do I have a busy schedule? Yep. 
Do I have a family? Yep.

Taking courses like these, and following my passions and interests helps me stay ME. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things and finding creative ways to use this knowledge in both my personal and professional life. 

Coursera is getting a lot of buzz this week, as many major universities have signed on with them. What a fabulous opportunity for students to complete independent studies using this website. Not sure if you want to pursue a degree in computer science? Take a free course, and see if it's right for you. Never got to take calculus in college? Now you can do it for free. This is self-directed learning at its best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment