Monday, July 16, 2012

A typical 10th Grade BYOD lesson

9:00
- "Ok, everyone, take out your books. We are going to read for 20 minutes."
- "Mrs. Walden, can I read on my kindle?"
- "Oh, sure!"
- "Mrs. Walden, can I read on my iPod?"
- "Yep."
- "Mrs. Walden, can I read on my phone?"
- "Mmhm."
- "Mrs. Walden, can I read a real book?"
- "Are we still having this conversation? As long as you're reading, I'm happy."

9:20
- "Time to put your books away and take your phones out. Let's review your reading from last night. Here's the code to text to the number from Polleverywhere.com to join our session. Don't have a phone? That's ok, let's make sure there's at least one phone per table so you can share."
- "Mrs. Walden, it's not working. I'm getting an error message."
- "Is anyone else having a problem like this? No? Ok, let's brainstorm. What could be causing this issue?"
- "Oh, wait. I forgot. My provider doesn't let me text certain numbers."
- "Ok, no problem. Do you have a twitter account? Can you get online? You can participate that way."
- "Yeah! That works for me."
- "Great. Let's get started."

9:25
- "What??? You really don't know what year Julius Caesar was born? Ok... let's see who can find out the fastest."
- "Mrs. Walden, can we use our phones?"
- "Oh, sure!"
- "Mrs. Walden, can we use Google?"
- "Yep."
- "Mrs. Walden, can we use Wikipedia?"
- "Are we still having this conversation? Use your brains! Whatever you need to use to figure it out, I'm happy."
- "Got it! 100 BC."
- "Fabulous. Now let's get back to our discussion."

9:30
- "Ok, in your table groups, I want you to work together to physically represent the main action in a scene. I will give each table a different scene that you read last night. I need one member of each group to take a picture and email it to me. Remember, I want to see emotion on your faces and purpose in your poses."

9:40
- "The bell's about to ring. Great work, everyone! See you tomorrow. If you forget what the reading assignment is, check techielit."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment