Monday, July 30, 2012

Sharing my Cell # with Students


I give my cell phone number out to my students at the beginning of the year. SHOCKING!

What is amazing to most adults, is not that amazing to students. It's really not a big deal. My students don't abuse my number, because there's no need to. I have received maybe 3 prank phone calls in the middle of the night - but they were all goofy. If anything, they helped cement my relationship with students.

My students know that if they come to class at the bell without an assignment and their only excuse is that they didn't understand the directions... they are in trouble. They know, that if they email or text me at 10:30 at night, I will be more sympathetic (but not much, because it is 10:30 after all! Word to the wise student - talk to me earlier on in the process if you need help.).

I've gotten texts asking for advice on buying Pokemon cards, texts wishing me a happy Christmas (on Christmas day!), and phone calls asking for job references. All fine.

By allowing my students access to my life via Twitter, Google+, Facebook, email, texting, and phone, I'm attempting to practice what I preach. I am a lead learner in the classroom - but we are all learning together. Let's communicate openly and easily so we can make astounding progress collaboratively. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't give out my personal cell, but all my students know my school email, and I respond to those all the time. I tell them that "I'm always connected." Also, I have a Google Voice number which forwards to my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris - thanks for bringing up Google Voice. I've used it in the past, and it is handy.

    ReplyDelete