Monday, July 30, 2012

Supply Lists


This morning, I took my two boys to Target to shop for school supplies. All told, I spent around $50 each to outfit a 1st, 3rd, and 5th grader. That's a lot of supplies! I'm still on the hunt for 15 black dry erase markers for my 1st grader - if you know of a good deal, let me know.

For the high school classes I teach, I try to keep the supply list to a minimum. As a parent, I know how frustrating it is to buy supplies that seem superfluous - like when a 10 pack of markers are requested and only the 8 packs are on sale!

I've done away with requesting binders or notebooks. For the most part, my students don't need them. It's a rare day when I give out notes in my classroom. Pens and pencils are always useful.  I like my students to have a pack of colored pencils on hand. I still have my students buy dry erase markers for their individual boards - eventually I will phase these out. And... that's about it for essentials.

There are a few things that I didn't get on my list this year that I will request the students to buy the first week of school - like a stylus. Other things will be optional (external keyboards).

So to add that up -

Essentials:
1 pack of pens - $1
1 pack of pencils - $1
1 pack dry erase markers (assorted) - $3
1 pack of colored pencils - $1
Stylus - $1.50 (Buy in class packs)
Total: $7.50

Not bad! 


No comments:

Post a Comment