Friday, July 6, 2012

Telling My Story: Part 2

My new favorite tagline that I pass on to graduating seniors is: Live your story. This year, I want to help my students become better writers by exploring their own stories. To prepare, I think it's a good exercise for me to do this myself. Without further ado, here is my story.
------
Part 1

Outside of the cafeteria (yes, THE cafeteria... there is only one on campus) was a small overhang with sidewalks branching off towards the various academic buildings. I remember my first meal, and waiting outside for the cafeteria doors to be opened. I was surrounded by my orientation "family" and we were discussing our names. Unfortunately I can't recall many of my siblings' first names (maybe that's a good thing). I think the one we were discussing was something like Anuka.

I made some sort of pop culture comment to the boy next to me, and he shrugged it off. In my mind, I thought, "Ooooookay, obviously this guy is not interested in anything I have to say," and I turned back to my other siblings. Little did I know that that guy had a very good reason for his seeming lack of attention.

Phil (2nd from the left) & his family in PNG - 1990ish
The doors opened to the cafeteria and we filtered in, grimacing at the fried fritters and okra. It grimaced back (as only okra can do). I happened to sit across the table from the apparently rude sibling I had just encountered outside. He introduced himself and over the course of that meal, I learned that Phil had spent his childhood in Papua New Guinea where his parents were missionaries. Immediately my interest was piqued.

It turned out that Phil had not been intentionally rude before dinner, he simply did not understand the joke I had made because he had lived out of the country for so long. We shared a common passion for world concerns, so we spent the rest of the meal talking about our adventures. Before we knew it, we were fast friends.

And so began orientation week: a week of bad public motivational speakers, cheesy team building activities, and the forming of lifelong friendships. I was unsure how Phil felt about me until I realized that we were both (not unconsciously) arriving at family activities 15-20 minutes early to have more time alone to chat.

Then we found our special spot on campus...To Be Continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment