Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Library Trip

I picked up the 3rd book in Scott Westerfeld's WWI Steampunk adventure.
Yesterday, we took a family trip to the library. Even though I'm 30 years old, I still feel like a kid in a candy shop at the library. All these books! For me?!

I tend to browse the sections with old favorites first and look for new books by the same authors. Then I let my eyes wander. I'm a sucker for an interesting book cover. Presentation does matter! Finally, I turn to suggestions from friends and others. I gravitate towards YA, but will occasionally pick up adult fiction.

What's really fun, is experiencing the thrill of the library through my kids' eyes. Despite being a ravenous reader myself, my kids aren't that interested in sitting down with a book. That is... until we get to the library. Then they get excited - so many beautiful covers and stories and pictures! I have an extensive library at home, so sometimes my kids will pick a book off of my shelf and then go to the library to continue the series. Seamus recently picked up one of John Peterson's books off of my shelf about the Littles. I remember as a kid LOVING these books. I even wrote to the author (and he wrote back!). The Littles are tiny people (with tails) who live inside the walls of a family's house (much like The Borrowers, but with less stealing and more mouse fights! By the way, The Borrowers was one of my favorite series as a child too. So much scope for the imagination.).

I was disappointed when we got to the library to not find any books by John Peterson on the children's fiction shelf. It may be 20 odd years since the books were published, but they were such fun. Thankfully, a helpful librarian stepped up to the plate (despite the library closing around us and lights going out). We found two books from the series tucked away in a forgotten shelf of easy readers. Seamus was THRILLED! The librarian was THRILLED! It was a win-win.

Hooray for summer days at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment